Call for sculpture designs to celebrate aerospace engineering
This fall, the Department of Aerospace Engineering will begin celebrating 75 years of elevating ideas at the University of Illinois. As a part of this milestone, the department is commissioning a small, portable sculpture. It will be displayed at events throughout the academic year, then permanently in Talbot Laboratory. This three-dimensional art piece will visually represent the achievements and spirit of the department.
This invitation is extended to all University of Illinois students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
The AE anniversary planning committee will choose a design that best represents the innovation and accomplishments achieved in the field of aerospace engineering over the last 75 years. Other criteria that will be considered are creative use of medium, connection to the department, cost, and portability.
AE may request more information or alterations to designs submitted before making a final selection.
Upon completion of the work, the artist will be awarded $1,000 as an honorarium and to help offset the cost to create the sculpture.
- Size: Less than 48 inches tall and free standing
- Materials: not fragile, decomposable, hazardous, or otherwise pose a risk to those that transport or touch it
- Weight: no more than 50 pounds.
- Aesthetic: equally representative of aeronautics and astronautics
June 30: Submission deadline
July 15: Review of submissions and artist notification
September 1: Final sculpture complete and delivered to AE.
How to Apply:
Artists may submit as many designs for consideration as they like, however a separate application for each design is required. All submissions will include:
- Artist name, contact information, and University affiliation
- Description of the proposed piece
- Medium and finishes
- Approximate dimensions
- Proposed budget for creation
- Timeline for creation
- Illustration of the proposed design
- How/where the piece will be created
- Inspiration/artist statement
Submissions must be made through https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/7594227.
For additional information, contact Courtney McLearin (244-265-5645; email@example.com).