Program Objectives (ABET)
The Aerospace Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET, Inc. That accreditation includes consideration of the program's educational objectives and student outcomes:
The Aerospace Engineering program’s educational objectives are based on the mission of the department to have graduates who are successful in their careers, achieve advanced degrees, attain leadership roles in their profession, and continue to improve their abilities through life-long learning. These program educational objectives are defined by Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as “what graduates are expected to attain within a few years of graduation”. The educational objectives of the AE undergraduate program are for the graduates to achieve the following:
- To obtain employment in industry, government institutions, small businesses, or organizations successfully using the skills they acquired in aerospace engineering and related fields.
- To pursue graduate degrees and conduct research at universities.
- To advance in their careers and achieve leadership and management positions within the profession.
- To continue their professional development utilizing educational and career building opportunities through their employer, educational institutions, or professional societies.
- To contribute to the advancement of aerospace engineering, science or related fields through new discoveries, solving problems, program management or by educating/mentoring others.
- To be engaged in professional societies and community service.
The student outcomes for each graduate are:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.